One of the ways that RP gets “expanded” is through the use of personal NPCs; characters that you create with a bit of story and personality, whose sole function is to work in or with your major characters inside of a plot or story. Villains are often of this variety, as are assorted family members/friends from the days before your character was an adventuring sort.
Occasionally, if you have the need for in-game interaction, you or a friend can roll up a level 1 alt to “play” that character, but in most cases they don’t get leveled. They’re there for a function – either to advance a plot or complicate things or just be an innocent bystander for the bad guys to murder. (Most recently Bertrand was one such NPC)
I’ve got quite a few NPCs in various places that get used for different things:
- Mrs Elizabeth (Lizzy) Cross, the wife of Bryan Cross, and co-proprietor of The Silver Shield. Mrs Cross is a big, buxom woman that can swing a blacksmith’s hammer as well as a frying pan. Aely and Phileas rent the walk-down apartment under their shop, and she’s taken quite a liking to the two Northerners. She also has adopted “Lady”, the mother of the puppies that Aely was trying to get rid of a few months back.
- Randolf Crebain, one very bored, very grumpy Argent Crusade member who has been “temporarily stationed” in Stormwind for the last 9 months. He’s losing some of his hair, has an unruly beard, and is utterly fastidious about the two messengers in his employ, holding frequent inspections. He’s basically a glorified errand boy, and he knows it.
- Amber Brightraven, an elf who rents a room in the Cantrips and Crows in Dalaran’s underbelly. She doesn’t look like a whore, but it’s hard to tell with the folks she’s constantly bringing in and out. She’s too clean and too blonde to really fit in at the Cantrips, but doesn’t seem to ever leave. Always accompanied by a powerful looking, wolfish dog. They say she spends a lot of time betting on the Arena matches.
The Riders also have a full component of Underbelly and Pig and Whistle NPCs that get used in various guild events, particularly the Langston family.
Do you have any NPCs? How do they interact with your character or other characters in your guild/RP group? Do you have shared NPCs that anyone has dibs on?
- Godmodding and Griefing (116)
- On Privacy, Real ID’s and Roleplay (49)
- XX and XY in RP (47)
- Population Disparity (34)
- Tanking Perceptions (33)