July 14, 2009 – 11:07 am
Just a quick post to say that I have returned from Feathermeet (even if my luggage hasn’t). It was an unusual trip at times, though very, very fun. I’m definitely the token morning person of the bunch though (which I think was well demonstrated when I fell asleep on the floor in a room full of people playing Rock Band at 2am…)
Anyway – I’m attempting to dig myself out of a weekend of unattended catboxes, laundry, and yard work, so no real post today – I’ve got something fun planned for tomorrow though! If you want to read about the truly EPIC part of the weekend – The Saga of Grizzly and Big Baby – check here (post 26, Storytime with Ambika) and here (WTT:RP). The moral of the story is, of course, do not mess with large groups of nerds. Once they reach critical mass, you never know WHAT will happen.
July 9, 2009 – 8:14 am
On Monday evening, the Midsummer Night’s RP Writing Contest ended with a few last minute entries that managed to sneak by in the last hour. We had excellent submissions – and quite a good number of them. So now the hard part begins…
Basic judging criteria will be along the lines of the following (of course, subject to change if we discover we have to have harsher criteria because all of your stories are just that good):
- Follows the Prompt – your character interacting with or responding to a lore event or quest
- Writing Mechanics – can we read and understand it? is there leetspeak or gamer slang?
- Appropriate to the Lore – does the story involve a new character coming in as an NPC to alter the game event in some way? Is the character a half-dragon catgirl vampire with a gunarm and a prehensile tail?
- And the ever subjective… Did we like it?
Judging will be completed July 31, 2009, with winners announced (and published!) the following week. We will have at least THREE winners with prizes (though we’ve not divvied up the loot into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place yet, I can tell you there’s some pretty good swag in there, including a 60 day game card!), and there will be internet-fame and glory to be had.
So thank you – all of you – that participated. Please be patient as we read and re-read your stories. Based on my own quick read-throughs, this isn’t going to be an easy decision!
July 7, 2009 – 7:55 am
This is the final part of Angrethar, the story of The Battle for the Wrathgate from Aelflaed’s point of view. You can see all of the posts in this story on the Story Archives page, by searching for the Wrathgate category, or through this link. This last section actually happened in game, about 5 days after the events in Dragonblight, between Aelflaed and Phileas, her fiance. For reference, at this point, she’s thoroughly bandaged, with her arm in a sling, and her face and feet and hands are cracked and swollen from frostbite. She’s been confined to Stormwind, largely to her apartment in Old Town, where Phileas and Mrs. Cross are making sure that she’s recovering. This is a longer story than most of the others, so it’s behind a “read more” tag.
Note: Phileas’ accent is thicker than Aely’s. A few times he’ll use the word “greet” – in this context, it means “grieve”.
Phileas dusted his hands off on his pants as he rounded the corner to the Silver Shield. Aely had run him out of the apartment earlier in the day, so he had gone to the forge and attempted to vent frustration by pounding soft metal into usable tools. The rogue stopped short when he discovered Aelflaed sitting on the porch of the shop, gazing off into the Stormwind sky. He half-wondered what it was she was seeing before her, as he was pretty sure it wasn’t the clouds in the fading evening light. Given the way her eyebrows furrowed, he had a feeling he knew exactly what she was seeing – whatever had happened to her at Angrathar. Softly, he cleared his throat to attract her attention, and was a little relieved when she startled a bit and turned towards him.
Read the rest of this entry »
July 6, 2009 – 12:13 pm
Yeah – been one of those days around here. No time to do anything, and tons of things to do!
- Today is the last day of the Midsummer Night’s RP Writing Contest. It ends at 11:59 tonight (or technically midnight tomorrow). Get those submissions in!
- At the end of this week, I’ll be participating in a now annual tradition among folks in my raid. Affectionately known as Feathermeet, we all get together, have a barbecue, and act like total nerds while we talk about WoW face to face instead of over ventrilo. \o/
- After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I have said goodbye to Aely’s four piece tier 7.5 set bonus, and am wearing a combination of tier 8 and 8.5 instead. The set bonuses are definitely missed, but it’ll be good preparation for the upcoming patch, and for my possible Disc Paladin spec.
- Anaelle is level 75! Aren’t you proud of me? I’m leveling another character in Northrend! Right now she’s about halfway done with Grizzly Hills, and I’ve not wanted to tear my hair out since about 74.5. We’ll see how long my momentum lasts!
- And I’m out of lunchbreak!