Comments Off on Monday Update
August 23, 2010 – 11:00 am
So I got home from vacation… only to turn around three times and have my inlaws staying with us.
Apologies for dropping off the face of Azeroth, it’s been a wacky few weeks. I’ve not logged in for close to two full weeks, and while that’s been fun, I find myself seriously missing friends and community in game. (Also thinking about things I could be DOING in game, like leveling Annylais.) I’ve certainly had plenty to do though, and I’m glad to have a bit of a “break from my break” this week. I’m a creature of habit, so I’m looking forward to having things get back to normal… or as normal as things get around The House Of Anna.
Anyhow, just wanted to pop in and say hello, let you guys know I’m mostly back, and hopefully will be back in game later today or tomorrow. I’m slowly catching up on the backlog of other blog posts and stuff that’s happened over the last few weeks!
Comments Off on How I Feel About the Cataclysm Beta
August 17, 2010 – 2:37 pm
Go check out this post by Falconesse over at WTT:RP – it pretty accurately sums up what I have been doing in the Cataclysm beta. Or at least, what I used to do in the beta (still can’t get this new launcher to actually download without erroring, crashing, and telling me to reinstall. :/)
August 11, 2010 – 12:02 pm
I was reading this post over at I Like Bubbles and this post over at WTT:RP (you should go read them both), and I got to thinking.
(Dangerous, I know)
I got to thinking about burnout and doldrums, expansions and story lines, end bosses and drama and all that kind of stuff that’s been floating around.
And it seems to me that maybe what we all need right now is what I’m going to call “Little RP”. Not Epic RP, or Major RP, or Big Storyline RP, or even Extended RP.
Just Little RP.
No pressure, every-day-interaction kind of RP that lets us connect with our characters again. Maybe (gasp) not even our “main” characters. (Everyone needs a rest sometimes, even characters.)
Perhaps even SILLY RP.
Nothing with kings, nothing with crowns;
Bring on the lovers, liars and clowns!
Nothing portentous or polite;
Nothing with gods, nothing with fate;
Weighty affairs will just have to wait!
Nothing that’s formal,
Nothing that’s normal,
No recitations to recite;
Open up the curtain:
-Steven Sondheim, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
Of course, I’m not advocating for comedy just for its own sake. Not all Little RP is funny, even if a little comedy can truly be a relief.
But when people are burned out and tired, when things are winding down and real life is intruding, the big, dramatic, epic storylines often just don’t fly. People want RP to relax, RP to have fun and enjoy, RP that doesn’t come with writing responsibilities or emotional turmoil – for them OR their characters.
A few examples:
- I was on my banker, doing bankery things. On my way past the Gilded Rose in Stormwind, I saw a few people having a conversation. It seemed innocuous enough, something about one of the innkeepers and about auctioneering in general. So Berylla popped in and said hello. She’s a proper Gnomish Financier, and of course had her own opinions on selling things. They had a short, pleasant conversation and then I went on my way.
- In Dalaran, I was enjoying some Little RP with a friend who isn’t really sure she’s ready for major storylines yet. As we sat there having a conversation about Pebbles the Devilsaur, we were joined by another Draenei Hunter, resulting in a pleasant 10 minute conversation about pets, hunters, and whatever else came up.
Pub RP, little meetings, the usual kinds of things that friends do – that’s Little RP. But so is random RP with a stranger or someone you don’t usually see – a conversation in a pub, something that brings you back into your character while you’re waiting for your daily heroic queue to pop. It doesn’t have to take long, and it certainly doesn’t need to have any kind of further implications, twists, responsibilities, or even expectations that you’ll ever see the other character again.
So I think I’m going to issue a Little RP challenge. (Strictly optional, of course)
Engage in some Little RP sometime this week or next, either with people you already know or with random people on your (or another) server. If you can, do so in public, and see if other people join in.
If you opt for the “Random” route, you might not turn up anything – Random RP is subject to the “right place at the right time” clause, which can make it tricky, but either way, give it a try. Use a chat channel if you need to. If you see a guildmate or friend in Dalaran, /wave and say hello. Maybe nothing will happen, maybe something will.
But don’t let the pressure of huge stories get in the way of enjoying whatever RP happens to come along. Sometimes all it takes is a “little roleplay” to get you feeling connected to a character and to their friends again.
August 9, 2010 – 8:12 am
Progress towards Cataclysm Goals (level 80, 425 in all crafting skills, 450 in gathering, banks cleaned out, epic flying):
- Aelflaed – level 80, 450 Herbalism, 450 Alchemy. Bank … kind of a mess, but that’s all RP clothes, otherwise, good to go. Epic Flying obtained.
- Aely!Priest – level 80, 439 Tailoring, 441 Enchanting. Bank clean out in progress. Epic Flying obtained.
- Annorah – level 80, 425 Engineering, 450 Mining. Bank is a disaster. Epic Flying obtained.
- Annie Mae – level 80, 423 Blacksmithing, 450 Mining. Bank is mostly reorganized, still have a few things to get rid of. Epic Flying obtained.
- Angoleth – level 80, 428 Leatherworking, 450 Skinning. Bank is a disaster. Epic Flying obtained.
- Annylais – level 70, 380 Inscription, 405 Herbalism. Bank needs work. Epic Flying obtained. Revered with both Cenarion Circle and Cenarion Expedition – but most rep farming is on hold for leveling. (at least in theory)
- Annata doesn’t really have any major goals, as she’s level 21; she’s likely to not see too many more levels until Annylais hits 80.
Overall, banking is… slow. Seems that most of the “quick and dirty tricks” that you see advertised on the Auctioneer guides don’t work on old servers with weird Auction House trends and most of the population running at least bank alts, if not also running Auctioneer with the same quick tricks. Cleaning out the assorted crafting materials in various banks has helped some. I’ve got myself a goal, though, and am slowly inching towards it.
I wish I had any awesome tips for making money, but honestly, the way that’s always worked for me is the addon Routes, a gathering skill (I use Annorah for all my mining, since she can pick up motes/primals as well), a couple of good podcasts, and a tasty beverage. It’s not ideal, and yeah, there are “faster” ways to do it, but I’ve gotten burned a number of times trying to be cute with the market, and crafting materials seem to sell really well on my server. Rather than specialize in one area, I do a little bit of everything – which seems to work well enough, but it won’t make you a headline on the front page of a gold making guide.
I’ve not yet decided which of my six characters will be “mains” in Cataclysm, other than that Aelflaed (in her Paladin incarnation, most likely) is definitely on the list. I’m not done with her yet, and I love her RP. Depending on how things go, I may be a ret paladin instead of a holy pally primarily, but that’s all VERY much up in the air. If I were to guess, right now, my votes are on Aely, Angoleth, and Annie Mae. I’d really like to put more time in with Annorah though, so we’ll see. (I like all my characters a LOT. This makes it hard to pick one sometimes.)
RP is definitely in a holding pattern – between Arrens’ crazy job, everyone’s general burn-out, and Gnomeregan taking its own sweet time, things are pretty slow. Even, perhaps, in the Doldrums.
I’m currently one of the lucky few that can’t get the current Beta client to work. I’ve posted on the Tech forums, but to no avail. So my collecting of screenshots has come to a bit of a halt. And before someone suggests it, yes, I’ve tried running it as Administrator, both the installer and the launcher. I spent many hours on Friday evening trying to get it to work, to no avail (in between trying to troubleshoot my OTHER computer issues, which are now fixed).
Around the Internet are several awesome posts that I really liked…
- 5 ways to make your PUG healer like you – from I Sheep Things – which really should just be “5 ways to be a good PUG member”, as it talks to healers too.
- Under the Sea – Mana Obscura – totally fun and not-even-a-little-bit spoilery Cataclysm post. I giggled.
- How to Spice Up a Boring Heroic Run – from Der Panzercow – d’awwwwww.
Posts are likely to be pretty scarce this week around here again – though for happy and fun reasons. My brother is getting married this weekend, so I’ve gotta be The Big Sister and help take care of things. (And have lots of fun.) I’ll be leaving mid-week and won’t be back until next week.
Hope you all had wonderful weekends and may the Loot-Fu be with you!