Originally I’d thought I wasn’t going to dual-spec my paladin. My shaman, absolutely will have both a restoration (chain heal) build and an elemental build. But Aely? She’s a holy paladin, and I’m not a huge fan of her when she’s being ret.
But… well, what if I tried to build a holy DPS spec? I’ve played a lol-smite priest (Disc/Holy DPS hybrid) and did quite well for myself. I won’t be leading the damage meters, but the only time I do DPS with Aely is on Noth and when I’m soloing.
So I figured why not!
Aely gets to stay a Holy Paladin, I get to do a little more DPS than a wet noodle, and there’s some fun experimentation to be had!
- Holy spec: (basic holy spec, similar to my current spec, only with Divinity instead of Kings)
- Glyphs? Holy Light, Seal of Wisdom, and Holy Shock for now, we’ll see how the Holy Shock one works out, and if I hate it, I’ll go back to Divinity.
- Other Holy spec: focused around 1H DPS with Seal of Righteousness, crits, Holy Shock, and Sanctified Retribution. Will it be the new ret? No way. But will it be FUN for my off spec? Quite possibly…
- Glyphs? Consecration, Holy Shock, and Seal of Righteousness
But, of course, there are several things that could go either way, particularly with the damage build.
Things I’m unsure about:
- I’ve got Improved Blessing of Wisdom in both specs, since range from a totem is iffy on some fights, and I’d prefer to have that, plus it’d be nice to not *lose* it if I swap to the DPS spec inside of a raid. Could possibly shuffle those two points into something else, but for now, I’ll stick with it.
- Whether or not I’ll get laughed at. (Ok, so this one’s kind of silly)
- Whether Divinity is actually better than Sanctity of Battle – I’m choosing consistently 5% more healing over 3% extra crit, basically choosing the “non-burst healing” option. Not that I don’t have gobs of crit anyway. If mana regen is really an issue, I may swap to Sanctity of Battle instead, to see if that helps.
- Whether Glyph of Judgement or Glyph of Consecration would be better. I’m leaning towards Consecration, since that’s ideal for a high spellpower situation and helps with the mana problems inherent with using it all the time and not having Spiritual Attunement/Seal of the Martyr, but if we end up fighting stuff with a lot less AOE, I may switch to Judgement.
Anyway – with all the stuff flying around and changes, it’ll be interesting to see what happens (if anything) when we head into Ulduar this week. I’d rather hoped to have another week before all this went live, but I can’t wish it away! I’ve had some real motivation issues recently in game, so I’m hoping this new content will help (though that remains to be seen).