Siha recently posted a fantastic and extensive guide to leveling inscription in the upcoming patch (3.0) – kind of as a head-start for the expansion.
Now, I’m not one to get too into this whole beta business, as I’m sure you’ve noticed, but with a release date announced and patch 3.0 on the PTR, we’re going to see some changes to BC before we actually see the Lich King CDs on our desks. And, well, I’m all for being prepared – especially on an old server (Feathermoon has been around since release) with extremely high prices for EVERYTHING, even low level stuff. Right now stacks of low level herbs are selling for around 5g on a good day, and that’s well before anyone is going to actually use them to level inscription!
So! Being industrious (and bored), I figured I’d go through my herb stash and make sure I had enough stuff squirreled away to be able to get past the leveling crunch and not have to buy anything from the Auction House. Siha’s conservative estimates are as follows:
The bottom line: based on all of the above, here’s what you’ll need to level Inscription as high as possible when 3.0.2 goes live.
- 150x Earthroot, Peacebloom, or Silverleaf
- 100x Briarthorn, Bruiseweed, Mageroyal, Stranglekelp, or Swiftthistle
- 285x Grave Moss, Kingsblood, Liferoot, or Wild Steelbloom
- 270x Fadeleaf, Goldthorn, Khadgar’s Whisker, or Wintersbite
- 270x Arthas’ Tears, Blindweed, Firebloom, Ghost Mushroom, Gromsblood, Purple Lotus, or Sungrass
- 235x Dreamfoil, Golden Sansam, Icecap, Mountain Silversage, Plaguebloom
- 490x Any Outland herbs
Remember, the numbers required can be made up of any of those herbs, in multiples of 5.
Eeeeesh. That’s a lot. Apparently there aren’t as many Inscription recipes as there are, say, Alchemy recipes, so you end up grinding on green-level spells in order to get skill points. Yuck. But an overstock now means a potential cash windfall later if I have too much.
So where do you get all this herbage? Because inscription is similar to jewelcrafting, where you prospect raw materials to create materials for the profession, the herbs are grouped up (Earthroot, Peacebloom, and Silverleaf will all give you the same materials for inscription). Fortunately, each “tier” of herbs is available in clusters in zones – most of the groups of herbs are all attainable at about the same level of herbalism.
- Earthroot, Peacebloom, and Silverleaf can be found in any starting zone (levels 5-15) – in spades. I really like Dun Morogh for this, but there are lots of these herbs everywhere
- Briarthorn, Bruiseweed, Mageroyal, Stranglekelp, and Swiftthistle are usually found in questing areas from level 15-25, like Loch Modan and parts of The Wetlands. You need fewer of these than the others, but you’ll start to find Kingsblood and Liferoot here too, so just pick up as much as you can – and as soon as you have your 60, move on to the next zone.
- Grave Moss, Kingsblood, Liferoot, and Wild Steelbloom are the level 25-35 herbs. You can find these in The Wetlands, Duskwood, Ashenvale, and Stranglethorn Vale – I prefer Stranglethorn, since it also has a healthy dose of the NEXT level of herbs as well.
- Fadeleaf, Goldthorn, Khadgar’s Whisker, and Wintersbite are level 35-40 herbs – and are EVERYWHERE in Stranglethorn Vale (as well as a lot of Kingsblood, Liferoot, and Wild Steelbloom to boot – with a touch of Purple Lotus for good measure). They’re also plentiful in the Swamp of Sorrows. Except Wintersbite, which is only found in the Alterac Mountains. I’d skip that one, unless you’ve got a stash of it somewhere.
- Arthas’ Tears, Blindweed, Firebloom, Ghost Mushroom, Gromsblood, Purple Lotus, and Sungrass are level 40-50 herbs. I’d start out in the Swamp of Sorrows, and then move to Felwood. Un’Goro is reputed to be a great place to farm herbs, but I think it’s a little overfarmed on my server, so I never have good luck there. Ghost Mushrooms are only found in caves (like Maraudon) and are, in my book, in the same category as Wintersbite.
- Dreamfoil, Golden Sansam, Icecap, Mountain Silversage, and Plaguebloom are all very plentiful from level 50-60, and my preferred farming spots are Felwood, Azshara and Winterspring. The Plaguelands also have a fair supply of this batch, but they’re another one of those overfarmed zones on my server.
- Outland Herbs are found… wait for it… in outland! (duh!) Zangarmarsh and Terokkar are good places to start (especially since Zangarmarsh has a fair supply of Golden Sansam and Dreamfoil). Most of this will likely be Felweed, since the other herbs are still useful!
- **UPDATE** Having talked with Siha, and had some experience – Hellfire Peninsula is a FANTASTIC place to farm herbs, especially in off hours. It has as much of the Dreamfoil, Golden Sansam, and Mountain Silversage as Azshara or Winterspring, as well as Felweed and Dreaming Glory. And you can fly.
So my route, farming up all of this business, is as follows (TLDR version):
- Dun Morogh
- Loch Modan
- The Wetlands
- Stranglethorn Vale (spend a long time here)
- Swamp of Sorrows
- Outland (Hellfire)
Oddly enough, that’s the same path I followed when I grabbed Aelflaed to level up herbalism from scratch, with the exception that she started with Teldrassil and Darkshore. So far I’ve completed through Swamp of Sorrows, and I’m working on Felwood. Keep in mind that there is nearly always some overlap in herbs between zones, so you can move on a little early (or hang back a little extra) to keep yourself within Siha’s parameters.
It’s going to take another night or two of farming for me to stash out all of this, at least, but I can rest happy after that, knowing that come 3.0, Annylais will be able to drop skinning, pick up inscription, and happily set off covered in various colors of ink.
Oh – and one more thing. A pile of herbs this size takes up at least a bank tab in a guild bank. Don’t set out without empty bags, an empty mailbox on your banker, and a big chunk of empty space in your guild bank (or possibly a dedicated herby bank alt character). Good Luck!
*original image by pcaputo. I’ve always thought this is what Mountain Silversage must look like. That, or Peacebloom.
- Godmodding and Griefing (116)
- On Privacy, Real ID’s and Roleplay (49)
- XX and XY in RP (47)
- Population Disparity (34)
- Tanking Perceptions (33)