Having spent a fair amount of time in both Naxx10 and Naxx25, I’ve found myself thinking about the differences between the two. Obviously, Naxx25 has better gear, and takes a higher level of coordination (plus finding 24 other people that don’t suck instead of just 9). But there are other, more subtle differences, and some really NOT subtle differences, in how certain fights are handled.
9 10 Differences to Expect in Heroic Naxxramas
- Grand Widow Faerlina – Almost a disaster, we went in the first time assuming that this fight was the same as 10 man. Oops. Rather than killing her adds to dispel her enrage, you need to MC a Naxxramas Worshiper. The Worshipers have an ability called “Widow’s Embrace”, that will remove her enrage.
- Noth the Plaguebringer – Now with exciting Blink action! On Heroic mode, Noth blinks away from the tank. He’s still a glorified trash mob, but it’s at least something to juggle while you wait for him to drop loots.
- The Slime Room (Construct Wing) – Not such a big deal with 10. Will completely wipe the raid on 25. Ow.
- Patchwerk – Ok, this guy is still a healer aneurism waiting to happen, but instead of one hateful strike tank you need two. And he can use hateful strike in *very* rapid succession. Think – every 2 seconds.
- Grobbulus – Grobby in Naxx10 is a That Guy fight. With only 10 people, your DPS has to be riding the line of threat and one person screwing up is almost a guaranteed wipe. Naxx 25 is a lot more forgiving, both because there is so much more DPS and because there is more healing. One death doesn’t guarantee that you’ll run out of room, though it’s still kind of a That Guy fight (do not cleanse. really.).
- Gluth – 4-5 kiters is better than 2, you can give them their own healers, and there are more people to control the Zombie Chow. As long as the DPS are capable of grouping them up, this fight is not nearly so nasty on heroic. Just beware of the terrible Aura of Lag.
- Thaddius – In Naxx 10, Thaddius is cheese – in fact, killing Feugen and Stalag can be more challenging – so long as people understand the charge mechanic. 25? not so much. Thaddius turns into a giant jerk; people with good graphics cards have to turn down their settings to avoid lagging and missing a polarity swap, and even if nobody screws up, it’s a *nasty* DPS race. Feugen and Stalag have NOTHING on Thaddius for Jerkdom when it comes to Heroic Naxxramas. Having (and using) two heroisms is not only possible but probably something you should plan for on this one.
- Instructor Razuvius – The mind control pillars are gone, and you need two priests (preferably with >300 hit rating) to MC two of the Deathknight Understudies, as well as a tank to keep hold of the OTHER two Understudies (yes, there are four now).
- Four Horsemen – So there are these four guys, and in Naxx10, you just send two people that can self heal back in the back to deal with Lady Blaumeaux and Sir Zeliek (Henceforth known as Blammo and Ziggy), while the rest of the raid dances with Thane and Rivendare. Unfortunately, in Naxx25, Ziggy is no longer manageable like that. In fact, Ziggy’s holy bolts hit for… 10K. We ended up with two offtanks in the back (fury warrior in tank gear and a bear), and TWO healers for each tank – a main spec healer and a hybrid in healing gear.
- Kel’Thuzad – Kel’Thuzad is a pain in the ass in both modes – but in Heroic Naxx, he adds in a mind control. The mind controlled people are HUGE AND ANGRY and really ought to be crowd controlled… especially if they have heal buttons, because they will heal Kel’Thuzad. Also, you’ll have FOUR adds at the end, and need two offtanks (not such a hard change, but a good one for your healers to know beforehand – we needed three healers dedicated to offtanks).
In general, Naxx25 will have more adds and bigger pulls, but a good bit of it won’t feel that much different from Naxx10 – just bigger. Don’t get surprised by some of the actual changes between the modes!
Good luck, have fun, and (as always) may the Loot-Fu be with you!
*added Patchwerk, whose mechanics I’d forgotten.
- Godmodding and Griefing (116)
- On Privacy, Real ID’s and Roleplay (49)
- XX and XY in RP (47)
- Population Disparity (34)
- Tanking Perceptions (33)