One of the favorite posts here at Too Many Annas continues to be the “Be a Shamanistic Genius while you Level” post about how to tackle being a beginner shaman for the very first time. Obviously not everything was covered there (or will be here), but there are some things I can definitely add to or clarify that will help out with that leveling grind!
This is a little more in depth than the first post, so I suggest you read over that one before you come here. And if this seems to be more than you care to tackle right now – no problem!
- Level Enhancement… maybe. Ok – I still stand by my statement that leveling Enhancement is the way to go if you’re going to be SOLOING. Elemental is viable, but much more mana intensive, and resto is just much much slower. That said – if you’ve got a gang of friends to level with, you can be a lot more flexible!
- As an aside – people have said that it’s best to level with the spec you expect to be endgame. And that’s all well and good. Except that I leveled Annorah as elemental, went enhancement for Karazhan, and then ended up as Restoration for 25 man raiding. And I had no idea I’d be doing that when I leveled her. My second shaman I’ve been leveling enhancement, and it’s been much faster and less headache-inducing. If you really want to level with one of the other specs, I’m certainly not going to stop you!
- Highlight Talents to get in the Enhancement Tree: Ancestral Knowledge, Thundering Strikes, Improved Ghost Wolf, Shamanistic Focus, Flurry, Spirit Weapons, Elemental Weapons, Dual Wield and specialization, Lava Lash, Stormstrike, Unleashed Rage, Shamanistic Rage, Maelstrom Weapon, Feral Spirit
- Mana is your friend, learn to conserve it. Part of the reason I suggest leveling enhancement is that as elemental, you’re kind of up a creek if you go OOM with mobs still alive, but enhancement is still swinging and the weapon buff is still going. That said – ALL shaman specs are mana heavy. Here are some ways to help with the constant need for water:
- Train First Aid. (Bandaging after a fight rather than healing is faster and costs no mana). It’s easy to do as you level, costs next to nothing to train, and you’ll need it for raiding anyway.
- Remember that, as enhancement, you have a weapon/weapons that hit pretty hard. Keep your weapon buffs up, and don’t overdo it. Taking 5 seconds longer to kill a mob now (because you opted not to shock it) may mean saving 30 seconds after its dead because you didn’t have to drink.
- Make friends with a mage. Mages make water! If you have a magey friend to level with, going elemental can be a lot of fun – AND you have free water.
- Don’t go overboard with totems. Rarely do you need all 4 up for a solo fight. Most of the time I drop just a Searing Totem and a Mana totem.
- Pull mobs BACK to your totems – rather than letting them sit over there and casting new ones. Especially if you pull with a Lightning Bolt.
- Use Totemic Call (level 30) if you see a totem about to expire. You can call it back up, get 25% of the mana back instead of letting it expire, and cast a new one.
- Use lightning shield to help dish out a little extra damage. Once you hit level 62, you can use water shield if you are a little low on mana. You should always have a shield active.
- Shamanistic Rage is a nice way to buff your mana bar back up, though you won’t have access to it for awhile (it’s the 41 point talent in Enhancement)
- Windfury loooooves a slow weapon: Windfury Weapon has a hidden 3 second cooldown. That means, once it procs, it won’t proc again for at least 3 seconds. Windfury is also calculated on your weapon damage. The slower your weapon is, the bigger your windfury hits will be. That means you want to look for one handed weapons that have as close to 3 second swing timers as possible – meaning each hit will hit harder, and each windfury will hit harder. Shaman is 4 SMASH!
- Always use windfury weapon even if you’re using windfury totem. Always! Windfury weapon grants TWO extra hits. Windfury totem grants you HASTE, so you can hit faster. You’ll want at least Windfury Weapon – if not both.
- Once you get windfury weapon, don’t be afraid to use the best weapons you can find – even if that means you’re using something that is slower speed at the expense of some DPS on your main hand. Sure, it’s more satisfying to swing a pair of mighty blue or purple axes (or smashy maces) in the face of your enemy, but damage is damage, and smash is smash. You want things to *die*, not think that you’re awesome looking, and for shamans, slow is where it’s at.
- Totem Quests R 4 TOTEMS! At levels 4, 10, 20, and 30 you’ll get a quest from your shaman trainer to go visit some guy or elemental – the Call of Earth, Call of Fire, Call of Water, and Call of Air quests, respectively. Most of these can be done solo with little trouble at the levels you get the quests – with the possible exception of the Call of Water. The last step of the Call of Water quest has you killing some level 24ish Nature Elementals to get to a fountain – though doable at level 20, it’s MUCH easier with a friend! You can use the following guides to help you find any bits that are causing trouble (the comments are quite helpful):
- Don’t use Flametongue on Fire elementals. Because, as we all know, you can’t fight fire with fire! They’ll resist the damage. Use Rockbiter/windfury instead. Don’t try flameshocking them or using searing totem either.
- Same goes for earth/air elementals with lightning bolts/earthshock/rockbiter, and water elementals with frostshock. Come to think of it, that’s another reason to be Enhancement. Enh shamans don’t have NEARLY the trouble with elementals that Elemental shamans do. *shifty eyes*
- Before you get Totemic Call (level 30) you can right-click to dismiss your totems. This is on the little totem action bar that shows up near your portrait. Don’t leave totems laying about willy-nilly – they can (and will) aggro things!
Hopefully that answers a lot of the questions and open-ends left by the previous post about leveling. If you have things you think I should add (or that I should clarify, or that I got wrong!) please don’t hesitate to ask or comment!
Good luck, Have fun, and (as always) may the Loot Fu be with you!
- Godmodding and Griefing (116)
- On Privacy, Real ID’s and Roleplay (49)
- XX and XY in RP (47)
- Population Disparity (34)
- Tanking Perceptions (33)